Have you ever wondered why nicotine pouches get placed in the upper instead of in the lower part of the mouth as when compared to traditional products like Skoal, Copenhagen, and others? If so, this article is for you. We will explain the reasoning and importance of the specific upper lip placement, the different ways of using these products, and how to find the best fit for you. To learn everything you need to know about where to put your pouches, read on.
Traditional Use: Why the Upper Lip?
To people who do not use these products, the concept of stuffing a small, white bag under the upper lip may seem strange. However, there are some key reasons why this region of the mouth is the designated spot for attaining smoke-free nicotine satisfaction, as shown below:
- Lesser drip - The correct use of a nicotine pouch should yield the most flavor and nicotine with the least salivation. Salvation causes the dreaded drip, which refers to excess saliva and the pouch contents forming juices that can burn the throat or prompt the user to spit, making for an unpleasant experience. The top area of the mouth is furthest away from the salivary glands, which is why these products are best used there.
- More discreet - One of the main attractions of tobacco-free snus like VELO and On! is that they are very discreet. However, if incorrectly placed, the product may be visible in the user's mouth, perhaps not as much as a big pinch of Grizzly dip or Red Man chew, but more noticeable than it should be. Between the upper lip and gum is accepted as the easiest and best way to conceal a pouch, enabling use anytime, anywhere.
- More comfortable - Since the buzz and flavor of these products can last for up to an hour, it is essential that it feels comfortable in the mouth for this duration. The upper lip is the best area for an irritation-free experience as the pouch is less likely to move or slip out of position.
Can I Put a Nicotine Pouch in My Lower Lip?
We do not recommend using these products in the lower lip as this method is suboptimal for achieving the best experience. However, it is possible, and a surprising number of users have adopted this technique. Lower lip use will cause more drip, be more visible, and likely be less comfortable, so why do people do it?
Many reasons explain why consumers may want to dip pouches rather than use the traditional snus method that is centuries old. Firstly, many Americans use dipping and chewing tobacco and may decide to leave it behind for tobacco-free pouches, which is a smart move. Long-time dippers and chewers are used to a wad of the brown stuff against the lower cheek and spitting in a mud jug, so a solution is to use nicopods in the same way to get that familiar sensation. Also, some people like the drip, as it can make the flavor more intense and create a satisfying burn at the back of the throat. Finally, lower lip use can, in some cases, increase the speed at which the nicotine is released due to the higher moisture levels, enabling a faster, more powerful hit.
Tips for the Best Fit: How to Ensure Comfort and Stop Nicotine Pouch Drip
Using a nicotine pouch is very simple. However, finding a method that works for you can take time but is worth it as, after all, these are products you will frequently use throughout the day. So, how can you find the best fit for you? See the list below to learn how:
- Alternate positions - A handy trick that often gets overlooked is rotating the side of your mouth where you place your pouches. Only using one side can irritate the gum in that area, especially if using high-strength products or intense flavors like peppermint and menthol. Switching sides throughout the day is a surefire way to prevent gum pain by giving each side a much-needed rest.
- Do not place too far back - Many newbies report struggling with excessive drip, despite using the traditional top lip method. Why? Because they put the pouch too far towards the back of the mouth and closer to the salivary glands. By moving the product nearer to the center of the mouth, unwanted dripping can be almost, if not completely eradicated.
If the above tips do not work, it may be time to try a different product or brand. There are pouches for every preference and need. Some are softer than others and perfect for users prone to irritation, such as ROUGE, which features a silky, smooth material. Also, these products vary in moisture levels, and a dryer pouch may be better for those who struggle with drip or naturally produce more saliva, such as the ZYN Flavors. Above all, though, experimentation is the key to finding the perfect fit. Take your time, switch it up, and work your way through the large selection of nicotine pouch brands online until you are happy with the mouthfeel.